Thursday 19 January 2012

Amin Amir: Somalia’s Absolute Cartoonist

Amin Amir: Somalia’s Absolute Cartoonist
By Adan Makina
Jan 19, 2012

If I were a better artist, I'd be a painter, and if I were a better writer, I'd write books…but I'm not, so I draw cartoons!-Charles M. Schulz (Peanuts Cartoonist)
The awe-inspiring works of Amin Amir, Somalia’s undisputed cartoonist, speak louder than words. Before Somalia descended into chaos almost two decades ago, Amin’s work played great role in the dissemination of revolutionary propaganda that were the hallmark of the fallen military regime.
Upon Somalia descending into its current ungovernable state, Amin transformed his nature of drawings into a more structurally defined art of criticism that came to greatly affect many heinous warlords, ineffective leaders, merciless and coldblooded assassins, and tribal hegemons with varied negative intentions.

A devoted defender of the rights of the poor, his characterization of political misfits continues to inspire millions of displaced Somalis who have been driven from their homes. On the contrary, he has been called names, threatened, and insulted by parties and individuals who feel his premeditated artwork depictions as being the cause of their miserable failures and gross miscalculations.
Criticism in the form of a cartoon is a healthy way of establishing the causes of political miscalculations and a viable alternative to deliberating the causes of crime and lawlessness, transgression, anarchy, unprofessional conduct, and a plethora of social ills bedeviling a nation like Somalia. However, among Somalis, criticism is an indication of provocation and must be contained at all cost.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Helpful info. Lucky me I found your web site by accident, and I
am stunned why this coincidence did not happened earlier!
I bookmarked it.

Here is my site Visit Website

Why cows may be hiding something but AI can spot it

  By Chris Baraniuk Technology of Business reporter Published 22 hours ago Share IMAGE SOURCE, GETTY IMAGES Image caption, Herd animals like...