One Stop shop for Daily Digest - News, Views and analysis of the political developments of the Horn of Africa. Now you can follow by email alerts situated at the bottom. Please feel free to forward any item of interest - it is your blog too (Make it your Home Page)
Melbourne man planned New Year's Eve terror attack, police say
Australian police have arrested a man they allege was planning to carry out a terror attack during New Year's Eve celebrations in Melbourne.
The 20-year-old man will be charged with terrorism offences that carry a maximum penalty of life in prison, authorities said.
Police allege the man had planned to shoot people with an automatic gun at Federation Square in the city's centre.
There is no ongoing threat to the public, police said.
Authorities said the man had not obtained an automatic weapon before his arrest in Werribee, a Melbourne suburb, on Monday.
"What we will be alleging is that he was intending to use a firearm to shoot and kill as many people as he could," Victoria Police deputy commissioner Shane Patton said on Tuesday.
"This is a person who would become particularly energised, for a lack of a better word, when overseas [terrorism] events occurred and would express a great deal of interest in committing an attack himself."
Last year, about 500,000 people celebrated New Year's Eve in Melbourne's city centre.