Sunday, 29 January 2012
Somalia: - Latest Details of the over hundred Al Shabab Forces that switched sides
Mogadishu (RBC) – It is confirmed that Al Shabab forces to the tune of 150 fully armed men have surrendered to the federal government forces in the vicinity of Hosh and Ex – Afgoi check point. Some sources that are close to the Al Shabab group who requested not to be named for personal security reasons reported that this Al Shabab unit was based around KM 13 area which is in the outskirts of Mogadishu.
The move of this unit seems very organised and well planned because since early hours in the morning government forces were waiting to escort them to safety. The two officers, who are leading the unit, although we don’t have their names, are said to be known among the army circles as the best strategies in the battle field.
Our reporter in the area said that he saw seven vehicles belonging to the Al Shabab unit:-
Two. Jeeps equipped with anti-tank artillery
one Mini Bus
Three Toyota Land cruisers of which one is said to have been stolen from Kenya.
One truck on which the anti-aircraft ZUE 23 is mounted on
A local person in Hosh area told RBC reporter that he saw many trucks belonging to the federal army escorting the Alshabab contingent.
There is no word regarding this defection from Al shabab but residents in the area reported sightings of heavily armed forces of Al Shabab congregating near the area.
This area known as “Kaxda” is becoming a scape route for disenfranchised Al Shabab fighters. It is the same route Khalif Sheikh Mohamed, high ranking Al Shabab commander, used on 26 November last year.
This is the first time in the history of Al Shabab that a number of that magnitude crossed the floor in one day and as such this seems that there is a big disagreement among Al Shabab leadership.
Khalif Mohamed deserted Al Shaab in November
AL shabab unilaterally had withdrawn their forces from the capital city in August 2011 and justified the move as a change of war tactics.