Thursday, 31 October 2013
Italy busts 'international child kidnapping ring'
Police in Italy say they have dismantled an international ring that conspired to kidnap children involved in custody battles.
A police statement said those involved were special forces veterans whose commando-style tactics "put the child's life at risk".
They charged tens of thousands of dollars for the abductions from North Africa to Europe using high-speed boats, police said.
Several people have been arrested.
They have been named as Luigi Cannistraro, Antonio Barazza, Sebastiano Calabrese and a former Ukrainian sailing champion, Larysa Moskalenko.
It is alleged that Ms Moskalenko provided the boats for the crossings.
The group carried out its first operation in October last year when a child was abducted in Tunisia, and taken to Norway via Sicily.
A second operation in November was foiled by police who intercepted the phone calls of Ms Moskalenko's sailing venture in Palermo.
Further operations were planned in Cyprus, Lebanon and Egypt.
Two Norwegians and a Swede are also being held in Tunisia. They have been named as Elisabeth Wenche Adresen, Martin Vage and Per Ake Helgesson.
The BBC's Alan Johnston in Rome says they could face kidnapping and human trafficking charges.
From Kenya to Nigeria, South Africa to Rwanda, the pandemic is decimating the livelihoods of the once-stable workers who were helping ...
The Huffington Post Canada | By Arti Patel Email Posted: 02/06/2014 4:56 pm EST Updated: 02/06/2014 4:59 pm EST ...
Published time: 31 Aug, 2016 11:16 Get short URL Muslims pray at the Festival of Sacrifice Eid al-Adha outside the Jameh Mosque...