One Stop shop for Daily Digest - News, Views and analysis of the political developments of the Horn of Africa. Now you can follow by email alerts situated at the bottom. Please feel free to forward any item of interest - it is your blog too (Make it your Home Page)
Friday, 22 July 2016
Nice attack: City refuses police call to delete CCTV images
"This is the first time we are asked to destroy evidence," French newspaper Le Figaro quoted a source as saying. "The CCTV department and the city of Nice could be prosecuted for this, and also the officers in charge do not have jurisdiction to engage in such operations [to delete material]."
The paper said police and prosecutors wanted footage of the attack destroyed to preserve the dignity of victims and so it could not be used by jihadists for propaganda purposes.
But the French government has faced growing criticism about the extent of security measures and some reports have suggested the CCTV footage may show where and how police were deployed.
On Thursday, a French newspaper backed claims by the deputy mayor of Nice, Christian Estrosi, that the government had lied about policing of the event.
Witnesses and a police source who has seen security camera footage told the Liberation newspaper that a single municipal police car was blocking the junction where the lorry entered the promenade.
Mr Estrosi had previously questioned the government's assertion that more heavily armed national police were on duty at the entry point.
Nice-Matin newspaper said lawyers acting for the city authorities had asked the local prosecutor's office to put the CCTV images under sequestration so they could not be destroyed.