Wednesday, 6 July 2011

Woman 'killed by barbecue fumes' in tent in Norfolk


Clippesby Hall sign Hazel Woodhams was found dead in a tent at Clippesby Hall on Tuesday

Related Stories

A woman found dead in a tent at a Norfolk campsite is now thought to have died from carbon monoxide poisoning caused by a charcoal barbecue.
The body of Hazel Woodhams, 30, of Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, was found at Clippesby Hall, near Great Yarmouth at 0845 BST on Tuesday.
A man, understood to be her partner, was arrested on suspicion of murder.
But police said he had since been "de-arrested" and that they were treating her death as a tragic accident.
Miss Woodhams had worked as a scenes of crime officer for police in Leeds.
Officers from the joint Norfolk and Suffolk Major Investigation Team (MIT) are continuing to investigate Miss Woodhams' death.
'Tragic accident' In a statement, Norfolk Police said results of a post-mortem examination were inconclusive and that toxicology tests would be carried out over the next few weeks.
It added: "However, symptoms and current results suggest cause of death is likely to be carbon monoxide poisoning."
Members of Miss Woodhams' family have been informed and they are currently being supported by specially-trained officers.
Det Insp Marie James, of the MIT, said: "This appears to be a tragic accident.
"Whilst the outcome of the investigation is not yet known and will be confirmed when we have the results of the toxicology, I would like to take this opportunity to warn other campers about the risks of having charcoal barbecues within an enclosed space.
"Our advice would be to only use and store them in open areas where they should not cause any difficulties."
John Lindsay, the owner of Clippesby Hall, said: "We've had hundreds of thousands of happy visitors to Clippesby over the past 40 years, and our park is usually such a happy place.
"Like the detective inspector, we will continue to warn campers of the risks of charcoal barbeques in enclosed spaces, especially tents."

No comments: